Re; [techtalk] Permissions

terry at scruznet.com terry at scruznet.com
Mon Jun 19 01:34:45 EST 2000

As Robert said, the O'Reilly books are great.
I have Linux in a Nutshell from O'Reilly and learned
an easier way to change permissions than what I had been
using.  The idea is just to say what you want the
permissions to be for user, group, and other.  Here's
some examples:

/home/terry/temp>ls -la
total 16
drwxr-xr-x   2 terry    users        4096 Jun 19 00:56 .
drwx------  10 terry    users        4096 Jun 19 00:55 ..
-rw-r--r--   1 terry    users           9 Jun 19 00:56 file_one
-rw-r--r--   1 terry    users          11 Jun 19 00:56 file_two

/home/terry/temp>chmod u=rwx, g=rw, o=x file_one
chmod: g=rw,: No such file or directory
chmod: o=x: No such file or directory

(Oops, I guess it doesn't like spaces- try
again)
/home/terry/temp>chmod u=rwx,g=rw,o=x file_one

(Meaning that I,user, can read write xecute, group can read write, other
can execute)
/home/terry/temp>ls -la
total 16
drwxr-xr-x   2 terry    users        4096 Jun 19 00:56 .
drwx------  10 terry    users        4096 Jun 19 00:55 ..
-rwxrw---x   1 terry    users           9 Jun 19 00:56 file_one
-rw-r--r--   1 terry    users          11 Jun 19 00:56 file_two

(It worked!)

/home/terry/temp>chmod u=rw *

(user can read and write all files in directory)
/home/terry/temp>ls -la
total 16
drwxr-xr-x   2 terry    users        4096 Jun 19 01:14 .
drwx------  10 terry    users        4096 Jun 19 00:55 ..
-rw------x   1 terry    users           9 Jun 19 00:56 file_one
-rw-------   1 terry    users          11 Jun 19 00:56 file_two

/home/terry/temp>chmod g=  *
(group cannot do anything to any files - leaving a blank removes
permissions)

Carolyn Jarie Getter wrote:

> Someone please tell me there exists an explanation of file and directory

     -snip-