[techtalk] Apache access.conf help

Nancy Corbett ncorbett at halcyon.com
Tue Jun 13 18:09:17 EST 2000

Okay, here are the steps as I understand them (let me know if this helps):

Go to the etc directory and run the command:

./htpasswd -c directoryname.pwd username

htpassword will prompt you to enter a password twice.  Once it's done, you
can cat directoryname.pwd to see that it has created a file containing
your username and an encrypted password.

Next created the .htaccess file in the directory you wish to protect.  It
should look something like this:

AuthUserFile /etc/directoryname.pwd
AuthName "This is a Protected Area"
AuthType Basic
<Limit GET>
require user [username]
</Limit>

Next, in the access.conf, locate the .htaccess.  There are
instructions in the comment lines about the AllowOverride line.  By
default, it is set to None.  With this setting, Apache will not read the
.htaccess file. Change it to:

			AllowOverride All

Stop and restart apache.  That ought to do it.