[techtalk] easy password changing/vacation stuff for users?

Stephanie Alarcon beleza at bci-bluestone.com
Mon Jun 12 10:24:16 EST 2000

Hi.  Every few weeks we hit another situation where users need to do
something that lives on their mail server, but no one in the office knows
how to telnet and is deathly afraid of the command line.  The compnay's
growing and it's not practical to expect people to learn some basic unix
commands to do these simple things, unfortunately.  The 2 things that are
most pressing are password changing and vacation scripts.

We've been doing vacation scripts throuth procmail and that would be easy
enough to script out, but getting them to run a script isn't the hard
part...getting them to even log in is a workout. So I was wondering if I
could use something like a .netrc command, and maybe just give them a dos
program to run from their desktops and connect them to the server and run
a script.  Maybe even a little vb script or something?  has anyone done
something like this or seen a toolkit that does it?  I guess we could also
do it with a cgi....

thanks in advance for any brilliant ideas/suggestions!