[techtalk] two questions

Nils Philippsen nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de
Wed Jun 7 23:30:06 EST 2000

On Wed, 7 Jun 2000, Bilal Muddassir wrote:

> my triton chipset based motherboard has an older bios and it supported my
> new 15gb disk. thats good.
>
> it reports the two quantum fireball disks as udma 2 (older) and udma 4
> (newer) featured
>
> 1. running redhat 6.1 (or any other dist) does linux detect and initialize
> udma on the disks by default?

I don't think so, take a look at the "hdparms" command for that. You have
to integrate it in e.g. rc.local by yourself, though.

> 2. on the 15gb disk i plan to start the root partition from the 10gb mark
> because on the first 10gb the 'other' os is installed. how to boot this
> partition as lilo might find it hard to boot.

Hmm, pray that it's entirely below 1024 cylinders? Or better (if 10GB is
below 1024 cyls, but somewhere above that is not), create a small (I'm
talking 7-10MB here) /boot partition, where you put your kernels and
initrds into, directly after that other OS, then /, swap, /usr adn
whatever else.

Newer versions of LILO _could_ support kernels after 1024 cylinders, but
the BIOS must support it (only very recent ones do this).

Nils
--
 Nils Philippsen / Berliner Straße 39 / D-71229 Leonberg // +49.7152.209647
nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de / nils at fht-esslingen.de / nils at redhat.de