[techtalk] DNS and Apache Server

Jenn V. jenn at simegen.com
Sat Jun 3 03:28:33 EST 2000

Subba Rao wrote:

> One problem I have noticed is the slow startup of Apache at boot up time on my Linux.
> It is trying to resolve the DNS name for this web server. The domainname on my
> local LAN is a bogus domain. I do have the WWW server mentioned in the DNS table
>
> www             A       10.5.28.11
>
> What entries are required in the DNS to get Apache to start without delay?
> The named daemon is starting before the the httpd daemon. The problem is obviously
> in the DNS record.

I circumvent the DNS for the critical lookup-hosts on my machines.
I add them to /etc/hosts.

This is probably not technically 'good' sysadminning, but it works
for me.

(note: I use Debian, in case this is relevent.)

Jenn V.
--
  "We're repairing the coolant loop of a nuclear fusion reactor.
   This is women's work!"

Jenn Vesperman    jenn at simegen.com     http://www.simegen.com/~jenn