[techtalk] Servlets vs. PHP

Becky L. Norum bnorum at coe.neu.edu
Thu Jul 27 08:49:56 EST 2000

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Christian MacAuley wrote:
> Anyway, i don't know where *you're* located, but i know a ton of web
> developers here in the Washington, DC area and a hell of a lot more of
> us know Java than PHP - so from a labor standpoint your decision makes
> sense to me :).
>
> ~Christian

Christian,

Well, I am on a huge learning curve with Java right now, having never seen
a piece of Java code before 2 months ago!  I have programmed in C and VB
for the past year though so it hasn't been too difficult to pick up... but
some days I spend 8 hours doing something to realise the next morning upon
further reading that it could be done much better some other way, which
can be a bit frustrating!  ( This is why I was considering using PHP
instead, but it's likely other students who get involved in this project
in the future will know Java... )

My advisor is really good though and understands the whole learning curve
problem, which is good for me.  Hopefully the curve will begin to flatten
soon as far as Java is concerned... =)

Take care,

Becky