[techtalk] Gnome and Redhat 6.1 woes

Malcolm Tredinnick malcolm at commsecure.com.au
Sun Jul 23 12:16:46 EST 2000

On Fri, Jul 21, 2000 at 05:19:56PM +0200, Britta Koch wrote:
> I installed Redhat 6.1 on my computer at work today - yay! But since I
> haven't dealt with Redhat for a time (only Debian), and don't use gdm,
> I've got a few questions:

[...snip...]
(somebody already answered the first question.)

> b) What is the file where I tell gdm (or x) what programs to start? Is
> it .Xclients, .xinitrc or .xsessionrc? And can I stop it from starting
> gnome-session?

The file you want is either .xsession or .Xclients in your home directory. If
you have both, then .xsession is run (only). Be aware that this file
(whichever one you choose) has to be executable by root for things to work.
the last statement in that script will almost certainly be of the form
"exec <my window manager>", since when the .xsession script ends, you go back
the login screen --- and typically you would like this to happen when you exit
your window manager.

Just to clear up what's going on here, after you have logged in via gdm, it
runs the script

	/etc/X11/xdm/Xsession

(don't get thrown off by the fact that you are running gdm -- it still runs
the script from /etc/X11/xdm. :-) ) Way down the end of that script, there is
a comment that says

	"# otherwise, take default action"

and that is where it decides what file to execute.

Hope this helps,
Malcolm

Malcolm Tredinnick            email: malcolm at commsecure.com.au
CommSecure Pty Ltd