[techtalk] *nix comparisons

Robert Wade feline at brokersys.com
Fri Jul 21 13:14:10 EST 2000

On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, Patricia Jung wrote:

> Hi Susannah and all,
>  Du hast am Thu, Jul 20, 2000 at 06:08:41PM -0400 folgendes geschrieben:
> >
> [*BSD]
> > ehhh... i think the ports collection is about as easy to use as apt-get,
> > if not easier. it's a very similar concept, anyway.
> That's true, but let me put it that way: _upgrading_ packages with
> *BSD is a real pain. With dpkg/apt-get or the RPM, it's one command,
> with FreeBSD you have to uninstall and install again. Given that the typical
> sysadmin is lazy, when it comes to security-updates -- what is more likely
> on a saturday night?
> Simply typing one command before riding home to your candle light dinner
> or uninstalling, compiling (just another annoyance on not so fast boxes,
> and thanks to Murphy, Saturday night's security breach will certainly be
> a flaw in X), installing, and coming home when your love felt already asleep?

erm, I'm not sure if I'm understanding what you're trying to say, but
couldn't you run 'make deinstall; make install?' And btw, the installing
and compiling portion of ports is really just one seeing as it does all
that stuff automaticly, and you don't even have to see it (make install >
/dev/null).