[techtalk] cross-compiling problems

Katie Baynes ktbaynes at glue.umd.edu
Wed Jul 19 01:31:31 EST 2000

I am trying to use gcc to output a certain type of executable in a
certain format (mcore-elf). But I am having problems configuring gcc to
work properly.
    Most of the cross-compiling documentation I have found uses the
m68k-coff format, which seems to be part of the normal gcc source files.
The mcore files that I want to use are part of 'newlib' which, in theory
should be simple to install using the same steps as those used in
configuring for the m68k output. Problem is, it doesnt work the same
way. I have tried doing it exactly the way they do in the CrossGCC
step-by-step manual thingy (that is, using the m68k-coff as target
rather than mcore-elf) and that seems to work ok, but the damn mcore
just isnt working right. So, I am basically asking you guys (who are
almost definitely more knowledgable about this stuff in general, I am a
relative newbie) if you had seen anything about this or knew what would
be my best course of action. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again.

Katie