[techtalk] samba and port 139

A. Morner angie at dsbcpas.com
Tue Jul 18 15:17:45 EST 2000

Hi..

I'm trying to setup a samba share between an NT machine and a redhat 5.2
box. The NT box is setup (as its also our proxy/firewall) to not accept
connections on port 137-139.  Is it possible to still connect the two?

Right now, our main concern is of a scheduled database backup on the
linux box.  Up until the ports were blocked, the following script worked
fine, backing the db up automatically:

smbclient \\\\zeus\\timesystem (pwd) -U solid >>
/var/log/solid.backup.log <<EOF
cd /usr/local/solid/database/default/backup
lcd /usr/local/solid/database/default/backup
rm *pt
prompt
mput *
EOF

I'm not real experienced with linux and this is my first exposure to
samba, so any helpful tips would be appreciated.

Regards,
Angela