[techtalk] Debian and DHCP

Nicole Zimmerman colby at wsu.edu
Thu Jul 13 13:02:05 EST 2000

Check out /etc/network/interfaces

instead of something like

iface eth0 inet static
(blah blah blah blah)

you will need to use:

iface eth0 inet dhcp

You should be able to ifdown and ifup and get the interface running
right... I don't think you need to compile any extra support into your
kernel (or as a module) but it has been several months since I did a
recompile so I could be wrong there (but IIRC, I didn't have to recompile
to GET dhcp to work). There's nothing in my /etc/modules.conf and dmesg
has no info on dhcp.

This is all I changed for my computer at work and it worked great... got
an IP (and the right one) right away. Unfortunately at home it doesn't
work at all, so it depends on your network how well things go :o)

hth,
-nicole

At 15:47 on Jul 13, Kath combined all the right letters to say: