[techtalk] How to make man pages?

Alex Yan flare at serv.net
Thu Jul 6 14:58:37 EST 2000

Hey Stephan,

So man pages are in nroff format, and the system that translates that
format on Linux is groff.  If you want the official documentation, you can
check here:

  http://www.cs.pdx.edu/~trent/gnu/groff/groff.html#SEC16

(I just found this off a simple google search).

However, the way I learned how to write that (somewhat crazy) format is
just to look at the kill(1) man page (which is pretty extensive, which is
why I used it as an example), the source of which is located in
/usr/man/man1/kill.1 (man pages are usually stored in /usr/man or
/usr/local/man in the manX/prog-name.X file, where X is the man page
section).  It should be easy to look at the different tags and see how
they translate into the real kill(1) man page.

Hope that helps!  I only learned what I needed to (I prefer TeX or XML for
text-processing), so I didn't get into all the fine intricacies of groff,
but I suspect that's your approach as well.  :)

-Alex Yan
 flare at serv.net