[techtalk] How do I get rid of login screen

Samantha Jo Moore sjmoore at TheTahoeGroup.com
Fri Jan 28 13:32:49 EST 2000

> I am using Red Hat 6.1 and was wondering if there's there a way to boot
> directly into gnome without having to log in (anywhere). I am setting up
> the PC for my mom and need it to be very user friendly.

Log in as root.  Edit the file /etc/inittab.  Change the line that reads:

id:3:initdefault:

to read:

id:5:initdefault:

This tells the init process which run level to switch to at boot time.
Run level 5 is the GUI mode.  It starts the X-server in virtual console
number 7 <CTRL-ALT-F7> with a GUI login screen.

Hope this helps.
Samantha