[techtalk] How do I get rid of login screen

Jeff Dike jdike at karaya.com
Fri Jan 28 16:03:31 EST 2000

> I am using Red Hat 6.1 and was wondering if there's there a way to
> boot directly into gnome without having to log in (anywhere).

This is off the top of my head, so you'll probably have to play around before
it actually works.  The basic idea is that you replace xdm in the boot process
with something that starts up the X server and the gnome session manager as
the appropriate user.

The end of /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit sets up a link to the display manager to be
used in the transition to run-level 5.  Stick a bit of code in there to make a
link to your new thing.

Then write a little script that runs the X server and then runs the gsm with
as the appropriate user with the right args (and I have no idea what they
might be...).  That ought to do what you want.

				Jeff