[techtalk] printer probs with 2.2.13 and lpd

Britta Koch bkoch at rz.uni-osnabrueck.de
Wed Jan 26 13:19:56 EST 2000

>Yup. I live :)

Glad to hear that ;)

>So, I upgraded my kernel from 2.0.36 to 2.2.13 (yeah yeah, and this was a
>few months ago..can we say the cobbler's children go without shoes? <g> )
>and the printer quit working. It worked fine previously. In part, this was
>because the parallel port moved from lp1 to lp0 (why, I dunno), but I
>fixed that, and I can print ascii directly to the port, but I cannot talk
>lpd into talking to the printer. lpd will spool jobs, but will not send
>them onto the printer -- the /var/spool/lpd/lp/status file says :
>waiting for lp to become ready (offline ?)

I used to have a similar problem(even with the ports) - do you have parport support as modules?
Have you loaded all the necessary modules (i think parport.o AND parport_core.o or something like that)?
That was what I didn't do... but I could print with DOS, so I knew it was a software problem...

(OK, I think I couldn't even print ascii to port, but that lpd status looks like what I got..)

HTH

Britta