[techtalk] printer probs with 2.2.13 and lpd

Dakota Surmonde surmonde at freeshell.org
Tue Jan 25 16:53:59 EST 2000

Yup. I live :)

So, I upgraded my kernel from 2.0.36 to 2.2.13 (yeah yeah, and this was a
few months ago..can we say the cobbler's children go without shoes? <g> )
and the printer quit working. It worked fine previously. In part, this was
because the parallel port moved from lp1 to lp0 (why, I dunno), but I
fixed that, and I can print ascii directly to the port, but I cannot talk
lpd into talking to the printer. lpd will spool jobs, but will not send
them onto the printer -- the /var/spool/lpd/lp/status file says :
waiting for lp to become ready (offline ?)

Since this is a pre IEEE 1284 printer (HP Deskjet 500) I'm not expecting
it to clue the computer -- but I've run through the lpd and kernel parport
documentation and have no clue how to tell lpd to just send the jobs,
without expecting anythign fancy from the printer -- I've tried both
enabling and disabling probing in the kernel, and the parallel port is
coming up fine. As I've said, I can print directly to the port, so it's
definetly not hardware, and I think the parallel port driver is probably
working fine. I've tried deleteing everything related and recompiling lpd,
but no dice...Ideas?

Vinnie (my butt is being kicked my computer. this is *not* acceptable :) )