[techtalk] Really weird computer troubles

Brian Engle bengle at fti-net.com
Tue Jan 25 10:46:05 EST 2000

what brand of network card do you have in the linux box? this is a long
shot, but I was having the worst time getting a ne2000 to work under RH 6.1,
apparently RH decided to take out the autoprobe option from the ne2000
kernel module, so it wouldn't detect an ne2000 that wasn't plug-n-pray....my
ne2000 had jumpers to set everything (IO, irq, etc), but it still wouldn't
detect, I found an answer on Red Hat's page, just search for the string
ne2000 on the troubleshooting page, they had some steps to try to get the
kernel module working, however I just gave up and installed a 3com card, it
detected it and has been running happily ever since, and the ne2000 is
sitting on the desk gathering dust....I guess I'll use it when my wife's
network card goes screwy, or if I build another box with an os that supports
ne2000's....

also, I'm assuming that you had the network up and running before, do you
have a hub, or was it just a straight cable connection from nic to nic? if
the cable is going from nic to nic, did you make the cable yourself? I had
the worst time getting the cable from nic to nic to work, finally got it
running, then a week later I bought a hub, so I had to switch to straight
cable.

Brian