[techtalk] Newbie question

Esther Lumsdon esther at pagesz.net
Mon Jan 24 18:27:56 EST 2000

I believe that what you need to do is find out the IP address for
the name server from your ISP, and add that to the
/etc/resolv.conf file.  That's what I do on a different distribution
(redhat).

My dialing script for each place where I connect (work or ISP)
copies a different file over /etc/resolv.conf, because I like to
use a different DNS server at each place.

- Esther

Mon, 24 Jan 2000 SallyCalich at aol.com wrote:

> I'm a linux newbie and have been lurking on this list for a little while.
> Hope I don't sound too ignorant.
> I have installed and been running Caldera's Open Linux 2.3.
> It's been quite the learning experience, but I've managed to get to the point
> where I'd like to use the Netscape browser.
> I connect successfully to my ISP using kppp but whenever I try to do anything
> with Netscape I can't get a name resolution.
>
> >Here's the error message:
> >--- Warning: the following hosts are unknown:
> > home.netscape.com
> >home6.netscape.com internic.net
> >This means that some or all hosts will be unreachable.
> > Perhaps there is a problem with your name server?
> >If your site must use a non-root name server, you will need to set the
> $SOCKS_NS >environment variable to point at the appropriate name server.
> >It may (or may not) be necessary to set this variable, or the SOCKS host
> >preference, to the IP address of the host in question rather than its name

--  Esther   esther at pagesz.net    Speaking only for myself.
Tomorrow, we shall be older,  ...but shall we be wiser?  -- Joan Walsh Anglund