[techtalk] MP3's and my laptop

Laurel Fan lf25+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Sun Jan 23 21:46:52 EST 2000

Excerpts from linuxchix: 24-Jan-100 Re: [techtalk] MP3's and my.. by "J
B"@hotmail.com
> Why do you say Celerons suck?

Let me rephrase this.  the Covingtons suck a lot.  Mendocino with
on-chip cache suck a little.

> In side by side comparisons, the
> end user can only tell a difference between Celeron and Pentium
> II/III machines in FPU intensive applications.

mp3 decoding can be FPU-intensive, and usually is, unless your decoding
software is optimized against it.

> And even then, the difference is not extreme.  MP3
> decoding is more dependent on the decoder you use than it is in your
> processor.

THere's a good point... seeif you can find a sceleorn optimized decoded