[techtalk] ssh setup

Tamara Thompson THOMPSON at gate.sunquest.com
Wed Jan 19 17:58:55 EST 2000

There seems to be a lot of confusion in the language regarding "can an ssh2 machine connect to an ssh1 machine?"

What I've found is that if I set up the parameters in the /etc/ssh2/ config files, when I connect from an ssh2 box to an ssh1 box, ssh is smart enough to run ssh1 instead of ssh2 and make the connection.

So it is possible to connect, it just happens that ssh2 will fire up ssh1 when it realizes it's connecting to an ssh1 box.

The config parameters are:
/etc/ssh2/sshd2_config

Ssh1Compatibility  yes

/etc/ssh2/ssh2_config

Ssh1AgentCompatibility   ssh2

(It's already there, you just have to uncomment the line and restart the daemon)

hope that helps,
Tamara

<<< "Jenn V." <jenn at simegen.com>  1/19  4:21p >>>

Subba Rao wrote:

> Are there any incompatiblities between ssh1 and ssh2, clients and servers?

Yes. You can't ssh2 to an ssh1 server. (I know. I tried.)

Try 'ssh1 remotehost'. That worked for me.

Jenn V.
--
  "We're repairing the coolant loop of a nuclear fusion reactor.
   This is women's work!"

Jenn Vesperman    jenn at simegen.com     http://www.simegen.com/~jenn