[techtalk] Disk imaging software (was: Re: Other OSes on a Linux box)

jennyw at griffon.personic.com jennyw at griffon.personic.com
Tue Jan 4 20:26:07 EST 2000

On the subject of annoying installs ...

One thing that I've seen a lot of in the Windows world is imaging products
like Ghost and ImageCast -- basically, the make an image of a hard disk and
put it in a file.  You can then use this file to re-image other computers.
When you have a complex installation, and you have a lot of identical
installations to do, this can be a great time saver (probably not a big deal
for home users, but it's a lifesaver for those 20+ computer installations).
Is there something like this that includes support for Linux, too, which
would help in Samantha's case?  I think Ghost 6.0 now supports Linux, but PC
Week said there were a few bugs in 6.0.  I believe that many products can
image a Linux partition, but that it can't browse it, change it, or do
anything else interesting to it.

Thanks!

Jen