[techtalk] UCITA info (was: Free FrameMaker beta for Linux)

KU4QD caitlyn at netferrets.net
Tue Feb 29 17:00:07 EST 2000

Hi, Vanessa,

vanessa smale wrote:

> >Pretty much.  If UCITA passes, the GPL will probably be easier to
> >enforce because the law will now recognize the ability of licenses
> >like the GPL to bind licensees.  At least, that's what attorney Andrew
> >Greenberg said when this issue came up on Slashdot, and my own
> >analysis tends to confirm his.  Andrew is a software programmer turned
> >attorney and tends to be pretty spot-on when it comes to legal issues
> >related to computing.

That isn't the main problem issue.  There are two:  one is that reverse
engineering would become illegal.  So... you'd have to rip out your MS Office
filters and the like from things like KOffice and Star Office, in effect
guaranteeing the MS monopoly.  For Adobe, that means .pdf, a proprietary
format, could only be offered by Adobe.  You also couldn't reverse engineer
device drivers, so if hardware manufacturers are in bed with MS, the devices
just won't work with Linux or anything else.

Second is a liability issue:  companies would be legally protected from
software liability suits, but individuals (and by extension, Open Source
developers) would not be.  So... you couldn't sue Microsoft, but you could sue
Joe and Jane Developer if their free software doesn't perform.

> Ok, so Im completely in the dark here...can someone give a good url
> explaining the UCITA, preferably one that enumerates both its good and bad
> points and explains why Adobe got involved?

I'll try, and I explained Adobe's interests above, I think.  I doubt I'll find
much positive to say about it.  The proponents are all commercial entities.  I
haven't seen anybody who independently says "this is a good thing".

Here are some links:

Richard Stallman:  "Why We Must Fight UCITA":

http://linuxtoday.com/stories/15948.html

The actual text of UCITA from The University of Pennsylvania Law School site:

http://www.law.upenn.edu/bll/ulc/ucita/citam99.htm

InfoWorld UCITA site (opposed):

http://archive.infoworld.com/cgi-bin/displayStory.pl?/features/990531ucita_home.htm

Uniform Law Commissioners (pro-UCITA):

http://www.nccusl.org/

Coalition fighting UCITA:

http://www.badsoftware.com/oppose.htm

Analysis by the Federal Trade Commission (opposing):

http://www.ftc.gov/be/v990010.htm

Organization working to defeat UCITA:

http://www.4cite.org/HotNews.htm

If you need more, I am certain I can find more.  Generally, on the net, you
will find 10 anti-UCITA sites for every one pro-UCITA site.

I hope this helps.

Take care,
Caity