[techtalk] Missing "taskbar" in KDE??

Rik Hemsley rik at kde.org
Fri Feb 25 23:46:47 EST 2000

#if Storm
> [...] When I login into the KDE, I get desktop icons, but no "taskbar" [...]

Ok, what you call the taskbar is probably called 'kpanel', which is
the big panel thing with the 'K' button, the desktop switching buttons,
and usually the task switching thing (the taskbar :) on top of it.

If this isn't starting, it's likely that your ~/.kde dir has become
messed up after your reinstall.

What I suggest you do is this. Exit KDE and either go to a text
console or start a different desktop. Now at the prompt, type this:
cd
mv .kde .kde.bak
Now go back into KDE. You should now be at the default desktop that
you get when you first start KDE.

The next thing to do is to copy any config files etc that have been
modified by you since you started using KDE.

So you can open a couple of kfm windows, one in ~/.kde/share/config
and one in ~/.kde.bak/share/config and simply drag and drop from
the kde.bak version to the new version.

If you haven't changed much, you won't need to bother with this step
and, once you've verified that everything is working properly again,
you can just get rid of the backup dir (~/.kde.bak)

Hope this helps. If you have any more trouble, please ask again.

Rik

--
Design products with instant heritage.