[techtalk] Paths

Laurel Fan lf25+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Feb 25 01:38:46 EST 2000

Excerpts from linuxchix: 25-Feb-100 [techtalk] Paths by cmcanally at ticnet.com
> I'm about to try to install the JDK and I'd like to set it
> in everyone's default paths.  Which file do I modify for
> Bash.

According to the bash manpage:

       When bash is invoked as an interactive login shell, or  as
       a  non-interactive shell with the --login option, it first
       reads and executes commands from the file /etc/profile, if
       that  file  exists.  After reading that file, it looks for
       ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bash_login, and  ~/.profile,  in  that
       order,  and reads and executes commands from the first one
       that exists and is readable.  The --noprofile  option  may
       be  used  when the shell is started to inhibit this behav-
       ior.

So,  it appears that your answer is /etc/profile .