[techtalk] A good intro textbook for Linux

Chris Hargens ccsu0301 at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 22 10:44:14 EST 2000

        Well Raven, if you would like a students opinion.  My college
teaches it's Linux class with Mark G. Sobell's(www.sobell.com) "A
Practical Guide to Linux".  Our teacher who chose it was an
Administrator for Sun, but decided to start teaching for a slightly
slower paced job.  Even though I had Linux installed on my laptop a year
before the class, I still find the book very useful.  The last chapter
is almost 300 pages of documentation on common commands.
        I might also recomend letting all your students buy their own
copy of RedHat, so they will all have a copy of the install booklet that
comes with, which I also found very useful when I did my second few
installs(being a typical male geek it never left the box at first).

Chris Hargens
ccsu0301 at earthlink.net