[techtalk] Differences between linux distributions

Bad Mojo mojo at rps.net
Mon Feb 21 13:24:28 EST 2000

On Sun, 20 Feb 2000, Karolina Lindqvist wrote:
> Of course, my question is -- why? With linux it was a chance of having
> a united environment, after the bad experience of 10 zillion different
> unix version, all he same but all different. :-(
> And now the same thing is happening with linux.

<My View>
The same thing isn't happening to Linux. While I can't run a Solaris
binary on an AIX machine, I can run a RedHat binary on a Suse machine. And
besides, the previous fragmentation wasn't bad. The problem was each
vendor tied the software directly to a proprietary hardware platform.
Original UNIX was seen by IBM, DEC, SUN, etc asa way to sell hardware, not
as a good OS. So I don't see a problem yet.
</My View>

> It appears to be hidden forces that want to make things so complicated
> that they don't work anymore...

Gravity?

Bad Mojo <RPS Figurehead, ThinkPad Pope, SysAdmin>
ICQ:4722638|AIM:BadMojo000|http://www.rps.net/mojo
"When I need to I hit people with the largest weapon I can find: the Earth."