[techtalk] ICU troubles

Robert Kiesling kiesling at mainmatter.com
Fri Feb 18 20:17:31 EST 2000

Telsa Gwynne <hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:

> I'm told that less bandwidth is not actually the major reason for
> the package/package-devel split: it's much more for the people who
> simply won't ever want or need to build new things and will only
> be getting the occasional (binary) RPM when security updates come
> out (if that, ahem). They just don't need any of the devel stuff.

I think the main reason is to keep the stable code in a separate
package from the development code.  Having two separate versions
makes maintenance much easier.

> I don't know whether the other RPM-using distributions make this
> distinction between package and package-devel. But it is really really
> useful, both for small machines where you are not going to build and
> you have disk issues; and for crappy connections where you're paying
> per minute.

I'm not a Red Hat fan, so I couldn't say.  Caldera seems to be
mostly compatible.  I could probably install a developer's
version with no trouble.  Debian Gnu/Linux also uses the
stable/devel split.