[techtalk] Getting a computer on a network.

Tamara Thompson thompson at gate.sunquest.com
Fri Feb 18 13:34:55 EST 2000

But Jeff, I've seen situations where ping has been turned off for security reasons.

Haven't followed this thread closely, has traceroute been tried?

Is telnet turned on on the machine you can't telnet to?

>>> Jeff Dike <jdike at karaya.com> 02/18 1:03 PM >>>
> I can ssh to any server (there are dozens) from my puter but I can't
> telnet to my puter from the servers..   I'm thinking it has something
> to do with how security is set up but I don't know.

I think your site has network connectivity problems.  Regardless of security
policy, all machines should be able to ping each other.

				Jeff