[techtalk] Getting a computer on a network.

Jeff Dike jdike at karaya.com
Fri Feb 18 12:52:12 EST 2000

> I'm not at that computer now and can't run ifconfig until tomorrow but
> I've tried pinging from one of our server and this is what I get:

> chipshot # ping 10.254.254.245 PING 10.254.254.245 (10.254.254.245):
> 56 data bytes

Your box is off the net somehow.  Make sure the wires are hooked up :-)
If there is any hardware besides an ethernet strand between your box and the
servers, like routers, you might want to make sure that you're on the right
subnet.

When you can sit in front of your box, make sure that ifconfig says that the
interface is up and has the address you expect.

				Jeff