[techtalk] X Mail client recommendations

Britta Koch bkoch at rz.uni-osnabrueck.de
Fri Feb 18 13:25:45 EST 2000

>    * Something that isn't netscape mail.
procmail[1]
>    * Supports multiple user accounts on multiple servers.
fetchmail[1]
>    * Supports kill-files, or has a scripting interface that allows
>spam-blocking.
procmail
>    * Allows channeling of incoming traffic into multiple folders.
procmail
>    * And, for bonus points, is threaded.
tkrat[3]
>FWIW, I'm running RH 6.1 w/ GNOME/Enlightenment.

Most of GNOME-specific mailers haven't reached 1.0 yet - though my bf swears by (and contributes to!)
cscmail, a GUI client written in GTK and perl, which uses databases for storing mails (as opposed to Unix mailbox format,
like nearly any other mailer).

[1] procmail and fetchmail are command line tools and require you to set up a mail transfer agent(?) like sendmail.
    You can easily set up fetchmail to get mail whenever you go online, or in certain intervals, and it now even has a GUI setup tool.
     Procmail is for mail filtering, and has a very easy syntax (I think - it's quite powerful, too), if you only want to do killfiles / order your mail
     in "folders".

[2] tkrat is a tk gui client which is quite nice - it can do PGP, fetch your mail itself (so you wouldn't really need fetchmail, but I don't think
     it can filter). The only problem is that it doesn't support the "tree view" of your folders - you have a menu for choosing folders to read /move mails to.
     So it cannot show you in what folders you have unread mail - but I wrote a little python proggie(one of my first) that reads your procmail log file and tells you where
     your new mail got to.

Search for all these progs on freshmeat, www.freshmeat.net, ot Tucows, and check their homepages. Your distro will probably have proc- and fetchmail.

Britta