[techtalk] pppd (ifup script)

Jenn V. jenn at simegen.com
Wed Feb 16 21:22:48 EST 2000

CATHERINE LUCAS wrote:

e relevant lines. I can make neither head nor tail of them!

> Feb 15 22:47:52 ruth ifup-ppp: pppd started for ppp0 on  at
> Feb 15 22:47:52 ruth pppd[11248]: no device specified and stdin is not a tty

Second line seems to imply, to me, that your pppd startup
command/script/whatever has something like:

somecommandhere > pppd

or

somecommandhere | pppd

or even

pppd > somecommandhere

or

pppd | somecommandhere

Can you show us the command that starts pppd?

stdin is the generic-input-place, and a pipe or redirection into
or from pppd /appears/ to be going to stdin somehow. If we can
see the pppd command, we might be able to figure out how.

Jenn V.
--
  "We're repairing the coolant loop of a nuclear fusion reactor.
   This is women's work!"

Jenn Vesperman    jenn at simegen.com     http://www.simegen.com/~jenn