[techtalk] Network and Debian?

Damien Morel damienmorel at wanadoo.fr
Mon Feb 7 22:49:31 EST 2000

Daniel Manrique wrote:

> > I have just gotten myself a PCI no-name ethernet card. I think I
> > managed to compile the kernel modules correctly (NE2000 emulation), but
> > I don't really know what else to do - I haven't connected it to
> > anything yet, but will try with a notebook soon.
>
> Okies, I don't know about the debian network config util. However you can
> check if yor card works ok by doing:
>
> modprobe ne
> or
> modprobe ne2k-pci
>
> this loads the ne module and you will see some info about your card
> on-screen. Example:
> ne.c: PCI BIOS reports NE 2000 clone at i/o 0x6c00, irq 9.
> ne.c:v1.10 9/23/94 Donald Becker (becker at cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov)
> NE*000 ethercard probe at 0x6c00: 00 80 ad 46 11 7f
> eth0: NE2000 found at 0x6c00, using IRQ 9
>
> Next you can assign an IP address with ifconfig, now that the eth0 device
> is working:
>
> ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.15 netmask 255.255.255.0
> (substitute for the values you really need)
>
> next, assign a route to the local network:
>
> route add -net 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0
>
> At this point you should be able to ping any machine on the local network.
> Your laptop for example.
>
> Finally, you can add a default route using a gateway on your local
> network:
>
> route add default gw 192.168.1.1
>
> Then you should be able to ping any ip address out there.
>
>         - Roadmaster
>
> ----------------
> *
> Save a tree- use E-Mail!                        roadmr at entropia.com.mx
> *
>
> ************
> techtalk at linuxchix.org   http://www.linuxchix.org

debian stores the config about networking into:
/etc/init.d/network
a little note if you plan to use a 2.2 kernel with a debian slink:
you should desactive the route commands since the routes are
automatically configured by the kernel.
here is my network file:
#! /bin/sh

case "`uname -r`" in
        [01]*|2.0.*)
             ADDROUTE="yes"
             ;;
esac

ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
[ "$ADDROUTE" ] && route add -net 127.0.0.0 dev lo

IFACE=eth0
IPADDR=192.168.1.2
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.1.0
BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
# GATEWAY=192.168.1.1
ifconfig ${IFACE} ${IPADDR} netmask ${NETMASK} broadcast ${BROADCAST}
[ "$ADDROUTE" ] && route add -net ${NETWORK}
[ "${GATEWAY}" ] && route add default gw ${GATEWAY} metric 1