[techtalk] Changing the Console Video Mode

Rik Hemsley rik at kde.org
Sun Feb 6 06:22:27 EST 2000

#if Jenn V.
> > Sit about 2-3m from your monitor (nose to screen) and run with *either*
> > very large fonts/icons/window decorations, *or* a very low resolution.
>
> I sit closer than that (small monitor, at the moment, dammit), but do the
> large-font thing.

The best example of appropriate monitor usage I saw was a looong time
ago, when monitors were incredibly expensive and Windows 3.0 had just
arrived. There was this bloke who sat about 5m from his 21" monitor,
with 640x480 resolution (you couldn't mess with fonts easily in those
days). He blagged the 21" monitor from the local education authority
(he worked for them) by saying he needed it for poor sight. Looks
like it worked :)

People, if you work with a small monitor (and you work in an office),
and get eye strain/ headaches, complain. The boss would probably rather
fork out for a decent sized monitor with good refresh and fix the
overhead lights (strip lights are notoriously bad, they flicker at
50Hz and create nice interference patterns with monitor output) than
fork out when you sue him/her :)

Just some friendly advice from someone who ended up leaving a job
because the boss wouldn't get him a decent monitor.

Cheers,
Rik

--
2. Implicate yourself in every interpretation.