[techtalk] Changing the Console Video Mode

Gwizdak wazm at ufl.edu
Sat Feb 5 23:04:07 EST 2000

> Glasses aren't really fun to wear when you use a monitor. If you're
> short sighted, you should take off your glasses. If you're long

I have the problem of not being able to see the screen if I take off
my glasses. (My vision is quite horrid, without the aid of my glasses,
my vision is limited to about four inches..)

> this distortion increases towards the periphery of your vision.
> If you sit further back, more of the monitor is in the centre of
> your vision and you get less distortion.

The distortion can be countered by having glasses with a large
surface area relative to one's eye.

> you are running at a lower refresh rate, or simply the fact that
> there's more screen space means that your brain gets tired of
> looking at such a large, flickery picture for a long time.

Low refresh rates have been verified to cause high stress in ergonimic
studies. The industry standard is around 75hz, but >80hz is recommended.

I've found that dark backgrounds are helpful in dealing with the problem
of flickering screens. (I'm a student, and condemned to use public-access
X-terminals in labs..  )

--
_|_|_| S. Gwizdak  --  http://www.caughq.org/~wazm
_|_|_|