[techtalk] problems with Sendmail

Andrew Kirkpatrick arjuna at northnet.com.au
Thu Feb 3 16:27:02 EST 2000

Hi Emma,

What is the error he gets when the user tries and fails to get his mail?
Also what does it say in /var/log/maillog about it?

The problem you describe about using su is natural enough, su alone will
change your username and group but nothing much else. It sounds like
you're running su from a directory which that user is not allowed to be
in, so the shell has a problem starting up.

Try 'su - <username>' which will simulate a login for that user, changing
all your enviroment variables including the current directory.

--
Andrew Kirkpatrick
http://www.northnet.com.au/~arjuna