[techtalk] Need Notebook reccomendation

Linda Walsh law at sgi.com
Wed Feb 2 12:15:44 EST 2000

 Seems like you have had a lot of Hardware problems with your 7500. having
> worked as a 3rd level tech support engineer for Hitachi, I know that all the
> manufacturers will replace a faulty box (usually defined as 3 or more HW
> problems) and upgrade the replacement if "asked" to by the customer. You may
> want to choose this route if your box continues to have HW problems. At the
> least you should request an additional 4MB VRAM for all the problems you
> have had with this unit so far.
---
	Because I ordered it when they didn't offer Linux on it -- only
Windows, I was able to get the 8MB Vram and the 25G HD.  It's just a
problem when I call them up, if I tell them I have separate partitions
for Windows and Linux and can dual boot, they tell me it might be the
Linux interfering, so I need to remove that from my HD first before
they could service -- so I just convinced the idiot that it was on the
2nd HD which is removable and that Linux wasn't in my machine -- stretching
the truth -- it's not in the CPU or RAM when I was reporting the problem,
but ...well, while several of the tech support people have clues, one
idiot kept telling me that if I got to the Windows login prompt then my
networking was working and that Dell wasn't allowed to debug network
problems beyond getting to the login prompt.  *Doh!*

-l