[techtalk] Need Notebook reccomendation

Kelly Lynn Martin kelly at poverty.bloomington.in.us
Tue Feb 1 20:40:27 EST 2000

On Wed, 2 Feb 2000 01:06:24 +0100, "T. E. Pickering" <tim at astro.rug.nl> said:

>i don't have a dell laptop, but their support for my old dell desktop
>was top-notch.  cdrom didn't work under linux (back in 1995, no
>less)?  no prob!  guy came out the next day with a new one and
>installed it.  monitor died three years later?  shipped out a new one
>within 2 days, stuck the old one in the same box, sent it back, no
>worries!  if something in a laptop breaks, you're screwed 'cause
>they're tough to user-service.  pay attention to warranties and
>customer service when shopping around.

Dell has an optional service package for laptops where you can call
them and they'll swap your broken laptop with a working one with you
within 48 hours.  This includes damage which would not normally be
covered by warranty, such as "I dumped coffee in it".  There is a
smallish charge for it, but if you live and die by your laptop it is
MORE than worth it.

Kelly