[techtalk] default umask

Mandi mandi at linuxchick.org
Thu Dec 28 13:43:47 EST 2000

umask tells the shell what the default permissions will be for all files
created by the session.  Perms = 777 (wide open) - umask

For example, the most common umask on linux right now seems to be 022.
When a use logs in with a umask of 022, all files created by that user
will have 755 as their permissions.

I've found umask useful for users who are only accessing material that
needs to be web-readable, and therefore must have the correct permissions.
Also for groups that all have to have access to files, including the
ability to create and share on the fly.

Other systems do weird things with the umask.  I have no idea what Solaris
thinks the umask is on its ftp service.  something useless and
undocumented...

HTH

--mandi