[techtalk] Re; Smoking kills!

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Sat Dec 16 18:06:27 EST 2000

On Sat, Dec 16, 2000 at 03:52:54PM +0100 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Magni Onsoien thought:

> Hehe :) Someone once spilled a bottle of Coke into som DEC-server some
> years ago. The server continued and reached an uptime of ~400 days
> before it sympathy booted together with it's sister.
>
> But DEC keyboards may be washed as well. Someone spilled a glass of wine
> in my bf's keyboard at a party, they cleaned it in the shower, removed
> the keys, cleaned it again and left it to dry for three weeks (the long
> time was because it was my bf's keyboard and the I shouldn't move it for
> him. So it was just lying in a corner of the bathroom with lots of dust
> for most of the period and should probably have been cleaned again...)

I find I'm too impatient to wait for it to dry.  I dismantle the board and
have a 45-minute session with a hairdryer on medium heat.  That gets it
mostly dry and I can live with the occassional
<up-arrow sends carriage return> key remapping!

Domestic Sysadmin :-)