[techtalk] Using CD-Rom drives with linux.

Tania M. Morell tmorell at ispchannel.com
Sun Dec 10 18:00:55 EST 2000

Jason, Eric,

I was trying to mount it because I thought I needed to.  Thanks, I
suspected there would be no way to do it but wasn't sure.

I've also tried gtoaster which uses cdrecord as it's recording
client.... It also recognizes the drive... both actually.  But when I
try to copy, it does nothing.  xcdroast on the other hand attempts to
copy but then errors out.

I'm in the process of reading the man pages for cdrecord, cdda2wav, and
mkisofs.  I guess if I understand those, I'll be able to figure out what
xcdroast and gtoaster is doing wrong.

[root at caladan firmware]# cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord 1.9 (i586-mandrake-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jörg
Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 2.1.39
Using libscg version 'schily-0.1'
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) 'SEAGATE ' 'ST15230W SUN4.2G' '0738' Disk
        0,1,0     1) 'SEAGATE ' 'ST15230W SUN4.2G' '0738' Disk
        0,2,0     2) 'PLEXTOR ' 'CD-R   PX-W124TS' '1.06' Removable
CD-ROM
        0,3,0     3) *
        0,4,0     4) *
        0,5,0     5) *