[techtalk] Re: Soundcard/DMA Timeout

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Fri Dec 8 03:51:23 EST 2000

On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 06:11:33PM -0500 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Martin.Caitlyn at epamail.epa.gov thought:

> Hi,
>
> > Silly PC hardware   **grumblegrumble**
>
> Personally, I want an SGI box.  I support them at work and they are way
> cool.  The only problem is they run this fsck'ng propreitary Irix OS that
> has more security holes out of the box than swiss cheese.  Even upgrading
> to 6.5.10 (released all of last month) misses at least one vulnerability.
> Grrr...  Still, SGI actually knows how to do a real GUI :)
I thought SGI had adopted Linux for their low end market or am I reading
really old Linux Magazines?

> It's really a pity Linux MIPS never went farther than it did.  I'd love to
> see Linux running on an O2, or better yet, an Octane.
Can you not just lash on one of the current distros or is Linux MIPS the
appropriate distro/kernel to use for SGI (said he showing his ignorance)?

> Later,
> Caity

Domestic Sysadmin :-)