[techtalk] Soundcard/DMA Timeout

Bek Oberin gossamer at tertius.net.au
Thu Dec 7 15:19:24 EST 2000

Trying to get my $*^%&$ PnP soundcard to work.  It's a CMI8330
and I've been following the stuff in the documentation and it's
ALMOST working.  I get sound but all choppy and soft.

Error when I try to cat something to /dev/dsp:

Dec  7 14:15:27 mycroft kernel: Sound: DMA (output) timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?

I'm 99% sure it's -not- an IRQ conflict, /proc/interrupts says
[root at mycroft] /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sound# cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0
  0:   10543508          XT-PIC  timer
  1:       1081          XT-PIC  keyboard
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  3:          8          XT-PIC  serial
  7:          0          XT-PIC  MSS audio codec
  9:     211016          XT-PIC  eth0
 13:          0          XT-PIC  fpu
 14:     634770          XT-PIC  ide0
 15:          7          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0

And the only IRQs mentioned in the /etc/isapnp.conf are 5, 7 and
11.  They all look free.

How would I go about debugging this?  I don't even know where to
LOOK.

bekj

--
: --Hacker-Neophile-Eclectic-Geek-Grrl-Queer-Disabled-Boychick--
: gossamer at tertius.net.au   http://www.tertius.net.au/~gossamer/