[techtalk] Preserving Permissions

Jeff Dike jdike at karaya.com
Thu Aug 31 15:35:46 EST 2000

dschiff at exobox.com said:
> I thought the -p option preserved the permissions. How can I preserve
> my files original permissions scheme (in directory B)?

The permissions being preserved are those of the copied file.  Any files that
get copied over don't matter.

Did you try not preserving permissions in order to preserve them :-)  It looks
like it works:

~/linux/html 1053: touch a b
~/linux/html 1054: chmod 321 a
~/linux/html 1055: ls -l a b
--wx-w---x   1 jdike    jdike           0 Aug 31 14:34 a
-rw-rw-rw-   1 jdike    jdike           0 Aug 31 14:34 b
~/linux/html 1056: cp b a
~/linux/html 1057: ls -l a b
--wx-w---x   1 jdike    jdike           0 Aug 31 14:34 a
-rw-rw-rw-   1 jdike    jdike           0 Aug 31 14:34 b

				Jeff