[techtalk] Open AOL server?

curious curious at curious.org
Thu Aug 31 08:18:23 EST 2000

I'm not sure if there is an opensource AOL server however the jabber
project has come quite far:

www.jabber.com (has a free windows client and they produce a "commercial"
jabber server {ie. "redhat jabber"  }
www.jabber.org (the original jabber site hosts the server/transport
development)
www.jabbercentral.com (hosts links to  various client  products and news)

jabber is cool since it's A> opensource
b>has "transports" that allow communication with other IM and chat related
protocols

unless there is a specific reason to stick with aim I would recommend
going with jabber there is a "commercial looking" IM client for windows at
jabber.com the linux / windows/ mac/newton ones avail on jabbercentral.com
aren't bad either

let me know what you think..
I use jabber since somee people I know use AOL others use ICQ so it allows
me to merge those into one client package..

 \ /   ASCII Ribbon Campaign      curious at curious.org
  X   - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail     http://www.curious.org/
 / \  - NO Word docs in e-mail    "This quote is false." -anon