[techtalk] Hi and I have a few problems

Kathryn Hogg kjh at flyballdogs.com
Sun Aug 27 13:54:47 EST 2000

Hi, I'm new here and I hope it's not a big problem jumping in with some
questions before introducing myself.

I set up linux (VA Linux) at home primarily to host my web site
(http://www.flyballdogs.com).  I figured $40/mo for a DSL line & ISP was
better spent that the $35/mo I was paying to have my web site hosted
somewhere else.

Installation went pretty smoothly and I am quite please with it.
However, I do have few really annoying problems:

1. Netscape 4.75 ->  When editing bookmarks whenever I make changes to a
bookmark propeties and hit enter or "OK", it closes all the
"Edit Bookmark" windows.

   The address book doesn't seem to work.  I can add new cards. But
deleting them seems to be a no-op and the aliases don't seem to be
accessible when composing e-mail

2. fonts - It looks like I don't have any scalable helvetica fonts so
when I pull up a web page that displays an odd sized helveticata font,
the font server scales the bitmap helvetica fonts which yields some
truly unreadable text. Are there any scalable helvetica fonts I can
download or can I alias say 11pt helvetica to 12pt?

3. Networking:  I have a LinkSys EtherFast as eth0 using the latest
tulip driver from the sycld web site.  eth1 is for my intranet which is
just a PC which runs windoze for Quicken and my son's games.  Eth1 is a
TRENDnet TE100-PCIWIN car.  Everything *seems* to working fine.  DNS,
Apache, Sendmail, etc are all configured and things seem to be zipping
along.  However, every few days I find myself unable to communicate with
the outside world.  nslookup's hang forever and ever 10 minutes when
netscape checks my mail (it's pulling mail from my company's server), it
says "No route to host" but I think it's probably getting a bad IP
address from named.

Running a "netstat -nr" shows nothing unusual in the routing tables.
Restarting the namesever (/etc/rc.d/init.d/named restart) doesn't solve
the problem but restarting networking (/etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart)
does.

Does anyone have ideas about what I can do to figure out what's going
wrong?  Should I possibly hook the other card to the DSL?

--
Kathryn Hogg