[techtalk] wu-ftpd/proftpd?

Harald Welte laforge at sunbeam.franken.de
Sat Aug 26 10:11:04 EST 2000

On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 05:34:47PM -0400, stephanie1200 at netscape.net wrote:
> Hello.
>
> about a week or 2 ago I remember reading 1 or 2 people kvetching about wu-ftp and singing the praises of proftp.  We're implementing wu-ftp now (on a box that is still way pre-production so we have a little wiggle room) and I was wondering if anyone could expound on their reasons for liking one ftp over another.  The rationale for wu was that we'll be using virtual ftp servers for different customers.

If You want to have virtual servers, use proftp
Major features:

- Strong security background / auditing
- Implements its own security on top of the UNIX security model
	- gives You way more flexibility, fine-grained security
	- You can allow / deny each individual FTP command for each
	  directory (allow STOR and no LIST, GET, PUT in incoming)
- No external helpers (/bin/ls, /lib directory, ...) required, all builtin
	- You can do chroot() wherever You want to and require no special
	  setup (like copying a statically linked ls everywhere)
- You can fake uid/gid in directory listings to conceal real users
- Configuration File has the same syntax as Apache config file
- You have a nice module interface and lots of included modules
	- Usage of linux capabilities (to improve security)
	- Authentication agains LDAP / SQL database
	- Bandwith limitation for individual clients
- ProFTPd can run standalone (not sure if this is possible with wu, too)
	- Configfile has not to be parsed at each start

This is just what came to my mind  :)

I did several ProFTPd presentations and some proftpd bugfixing / module
development...

--
Live long and prosper
- Harald Welte / laforge at sunbeam.franken.de    http://www.sunbeam.franken.de