[techtalk] XFree86 Configuration problems

Michelle Sims michelle_leonard at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 24 10:20:02 EST 2000

Hi all.  I'm beating my head agains the wall here -
someone please stop me!

Our client has a Mac G4...installed yellow dow linux
which aparrently went fine.  Have yaboot configured.
But startx hung forever, and when it did finally start
the colormap was all messed up...and it promptly
crashes.

	Video crd says it is a ATY RAGE 128s (are ATI and ATY
the same?) which in theory shuld work with the SVGA
server....

	The Xconfiguratior acts very wierd - run it, and is
says probing found oFfb ATY Rage128 - but no options
fpr monitor sync, resolution, etc.  The file it writes
seems incomplete as well. (small portion attached
below)

	So I tried installing XFree 4.0.1 to see if that woul
d help.  X still doesn't start, but at least it gives
error messages attached below.
	So it looks like its never configurig the right
server etc, but I'm not sure what the setting should
be.

Any clues as to the problem?  If it is a Rage128 is is
on the hardware support lists....

TIA for any help!
#
# Monitor section
#

# Any number of monitor sections may be present

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier  "Unknown"
    VendorName  "Unknown"
    ModelName   "Unknown"

# We specify exactly one mode so this is OK
    HorizSync   1-300

    VertRefresh 1-300

Mode "Generated"
    # D: 100.000 MHz, H: 75.758 kHz, V: 71.201 Hz
    DotClock 100.001
    HTimings 1280 1296 1304 1320
    VTimings 1024 1040 1048 1064
    Flags    "-HSync" "-VSync"
EndMode
EndSection

#
# Graphics device section
#

# Any number of graphics device sections may be
present

Section "Device"
    Identifier        "Generic Frame Buffer Device"
    VendorName        "Unknown"
    BoardName         "Unknown"

# This will put your monitor into standby after 20
minutes, suspend
# after 30 minutes, and off after 40 minutes.  man 5
XF86Config for
# more details

    Option            "power_saver"

EndSection

#
# Screen sections
#

# The Frame Buffer Server

Section "Screen"
    Driver      "fbdev"
    Device      "Generic Frame Buffer Device"
    Monitor     "Unknown"
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       8
        Modes       "Generated"