[techtalk] Fred Moody hooey

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Fri Aug 18 06:16:43 EST 2000

Peace, my friends. There is no doubt the entire article is flamebait. His
purpose is to be inflammatory. I'm a recovering former ZDNet employee, I
know that editors demand outrageousness. Clicks are clicks, doesn't matter
if they are mad or glad.

His sources are counting entries on Bugtraq and "security experts".  He does
not offer much real data. Sloppy journalism.

It is useful to be specific and name weaknesses and problems. That is how
things get improved. Moody's columns are too general to be useful. For
example, when he says the BSDs are more secure and robust, I want to know
the details. I don't disagree, I've heard that from other, better informed
sources who listed the specifics. However he is not consistent, he cites the
open source code of Linux as a major flaw. What about the two BSDs he cites-
FreeBSD and OpenBSD?

Not worth raising your blood pressure over. Flame him and move on.

A more interesting viewpoint from Ransom Love, CEO of Caldera. He says Linux
is a long way from being ready for the enterprise: "In his presentation, he
said, "A single operating-system kernel cannot scale" to all demands and
needs..." http://www.zdnet.com/sp/stories/news/0,4538,2616675,00.html