[techtalk] Telnet, solaris and .profile

Britta Koch bkoch at rz.uni-osnabrueck.de
Thu Aug 17 19:15:27 EST 2000

On 17 Aug, Fan, Laurel wrote:

> What shell are you using, and is it one that normally runs .profile?

I'm using the bash on a Solaris 5.6 machine. But it doesn't read
..bash_profile, either. Maybe I'll have to look in /etc/passwd or the
Solaris equivalent.

> One way to do things differently on different computers is to have it
> check what os/hostname it is, and run a different file depending on
> what it comes up with.  Here's a way that works in both bash and csh:
>
> in the 'main' script (say, .profile), have these two lines:
> ---cut---
> source script.`uname`
> source script.`hostname`
> ---cut---

Now that's an elegant solution! Thanx!

Britta
--
  /"\  . . . . . . . . . . . . . britta at linuxchix.org . . . . . . . . . . . . .
  \ /   ASCII Ribbon Campaign     "Wer mit der Speckseite nach der Wurst wirft,