[techtalk] Telnet, solaris and .profile

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Thu Aug 17 10:12:28 EST 2000

On Thu, Aug 17, 2000 at 09:33:50AM +0200 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
 Britta Koch thought...
> Hi!
>
> My home directory at work is mounted via NFS on my Linux box. It's got a
> .profile and a .bash_profile file. When I login from Linux, it reads my
> .bash_profile file. When I telnet into the Solaris 5.6 box that hosts my home
> directory, my .profile file is not read (and I don't want it to read my
> .bash_profile - they're different files for a reason). It's annoying me that I
> always have to . .profile after logging in. Is there any way I can automate
> this?

There's a way to pick up the Ip of the machine you're coming in from (can't
think of it now).  You could have something that checks that IP and does a
source .profile
on the basis of the IP.  Does a .login or anything run?

Domestic Sysadmin :-)